9/19/2013

Woden's Day

Too bad Huginn and Muginn couldn't make the pic.

Yeah, Odin has a beard not a mustache, but today is/was (depending on where you are right now) Wednesday which originally was Woden's Tag or Odin's Day, Woden being Odin in Old English (not this old English).  Gandalf was based off of Odin, me appears as the main character in Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods and he plays a role in The Dresden Files series of books.  In the The Wheel of Time novels, the character Mat Cauthon is based on Odin: both characters are associated with ravens, have a spear and lose an eye.  One of Odin's nicknames was RauĂ°grani, translated as "Red Mustache."  It is interesting to think how the days of our week are named after Norse deities, whereas the structure of our calendar comes from the Roman Catholic Church.

Two weeks left here.  Made some progress on my out-processing items.  Guess I'll have to read a lot soon or take my borrowed books back to the library.

Had meals of steak tonight, one with veggies and one with a baked potato and three fried eggs.

Kelly Klein, the owner of Groennfell Meadery in Cochester, VT, posted today about the archaic legislation that affects professional mazers.  (If the "Beer Wars" documentary is true, then the same can definitely be said regarding the craft beer industry.)  Essentially, the definition of mead is pretty loose, which puts meadmakers into situations where they can't bottle their mead in certain bottles, must use or not use certain verbs on their bottles or can't call their products mead based on the volume of fruit used.  In the hopes that one day I might call myself a professional and not simply an obsessed, amateur meadmaker, take a look below at what I sent to The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama which says:
"Revise current TTB regulations with regard to beverages labelled as "Mead."  The current regulations do not lend themselves to a fair and objective standard for what can be termed "mead" and instead favors producers who use a higher % of fruit concentrate than honey."
Will you sign this petition? Click here.

Twelve hours ago another captain gave credit to my mustache by referencing it to belittle Sam's.  (I see a theme of other captain's giving me credit.)  Funny how something I can't even control is given praise.  It's as if people are saying, "Wow, you really tried to push those strands of dead protein through your pores.  I bet everyone else was just taking it easy while you were concentrating."  On the walk back to my room from breakfast, I could feel the sweat hanging out at the base of my 'stache trunks.  Guess it takes all kinds of mustaches to make the world go round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment