9/10/2013

One Third of September

Pretty much Chewbacca if he shaved.
Today is Mexican Monday, hence Pancho Villa.  The bandoliers make me think of Chewbacca, although Pancho Villa was only 5' 10" whereas Peter Mayhew is 7' 3".  Other famous bandolier users are Rambo, Animal Mother in "Full Metal Jacket" and the pirate Blackbeard.  Back to the menu...I typically make a taco salad, aka two cups of taco ground meat on top of lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa and jalapenos (pain endorphins are fun).  Other options include tamales, enchiladas and make your own tacos.  This is every Monday for the last eleven Mondays.

The other night Sam and I mooched some coffee from another office who broadcast out their desire to share their coffee.  While displaying our skills at verbal banter and witty repartee, I heard the distinct whirr I hadn't heard in many moons: a coffee grinder.  I leaned around the table and lo and behold, coffee grinder.  The past two months I had been taking beans to the coffee shop and being made fun of in Arabic while I could have walked 100 feet away and used this grinder.  So tonight we enjoyed some strong San Francisco Organic Rainforest blend.  The bitterness was high, so maybe I don't need to fill the coffee filter to the top tomorrow night.

Finally met up with the guy I've been paired to tutor (tutee?  tutoree?) and reviewed basic speech giving structure and some math word problems.  The speech part was a fast thirty minutes and we spent a good hour and a half on math.  Most of the word problems were ratios, percentages or a unit conversion problem.  In the end, I provided systems to solve the various types of problems and some formulas and principles for my student to review on his own.  The fun part about being a teach is saying, "Go do your homework and we'll talk later."  Actually, maybe the best part would be seeing the light bulb come on in your student's eyes and then seeing their hands write you a check.

Tonight I learned that it is important to dispose of papers properly or you can get to help sort the trash.  You probably already know about Kevin Mitnick diving into dumpsters for technical manuals that phone companies would throw away and Cary Elwes creepy villain in "Kiss the Girls."  Well, the same can be done today except they look the number of your Facebook friends, the number of times you charge Starbucks on your credit card bill and how many jars of Vaseline you empty per month.  If you throw out the wrong things here (i.e. paperwork with your name on it), you get to help sort the trash.  This all is not to be confused with urban picking or freeganism, where folks will look for recently expired food in dumpsters.

Now that you have yesterday's steak in your head, here's what I ate two hours ago:

I am powered by animals.

My plate is 5 parts beef, 3 parts chicken eggs and 100% delicious.